Sing & Louder Sing (2016/17)
Sing & Louder Sing is a programme of work exploring men, ageing and mortality.
It includes a one-act play written by Mike Kenny with music by James Frewer, directed by Alan Dix, plus a book, featuring testimony from older men in the Leeds and Bradford district with photos by Shanaz Gulzar.
Commissioned by Bradford University and Theatre in the Mill as part of the celebrations for the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the University, and supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Bradford Council and Arts Council England, Sing & Louder Sing is based on authentic voices of older men and their individual experiences of change – physical, emotional, social and attitudinal – as they move through their seventh, eighth and ninth decades.
Sing & Louder Sing was commissioned by Theatre in the Mill at Bradford University, with support from Arts Council England, the Heritage Lottery Fund and Bradford Council, to mark the 50th anniversary of the founding of the University of Bradford.
Sing & Louder Sing was created following a substantial development period including:
- The gathering of testimony from many older men.
- Creative exploration with academic partners both at Bradford University and King’s College London engaged with the science and psychology of ageing.
- A period of creative development with three older actors and the artistic team at our partner venues Theatre in the Mill and Cast, Doncaster with work in progress shown as part of Bradford Literature Festival on the 22nd May.
- Interviews and visits with older men in Leeds and Bradford
- The publication of a book gathering together these interviews, alongside a series of photographic portraits by Shanaz Gulzar.
Find out more about the project at www.singandloudersing.co.uk